Channel Insider content and product recommendations are editorially independent. We may make money when you click on links to our partners. Learn More.

Big Data Use in Midmarket Is Far-Reaching

Broad Big Data AdoptionBroad Big Data Adoption

Surprisingly, 96% of organizations surveyed said they either have a big data project under way or will start one in 2014.

Big Data Budgets on the RiseBig Data Budgets on the Rise

Current budgets for big data projects range from $2 million to $5 million, and will rise to $6 million in two years.

Big Data Success Requires CollaborationBig Data Success Requires Collaboration

In terms of collaboration, 41% of those polled report that business and IT are working closely on big data projects.

Big Data Projects Tied to Performance ManagementBig Data Projects Tied to Performance Management

More than a third (37%) report big data projects are closely tied to performance-management applications for the business.

Data Scientist SkillsData Scientist Skills

Despite a skills shortage, 33% of those polled said they have the necessary data scientist skills needed in-house.

Big Data Infrastructure RequirementsBig Data Infrastructure Requirements

30% said they have server and storage capacity available to drive big data projects, which suggests that the other 70% don’t.

Applied Big Data AnalyticsApplied Big Data Analytics

What are the most useful tools for managing big data in the midmarket? Real-time processing of data and analytics in primary use cases (60%) is followed closely by predictive analytics (58%) and data visualization (56%).

Big Data ChallengesBig Data Challenges

The variety of data (60%) and volume of data (34%) are cited as the top two big data issues organizations wrestle with.

Big Data Customer SatisfactionBig Data Customer Satisfaction

A full 50% of organizations with a big data initiative in the works are satisfied with the quality and speed of their decision-making, compared with 23% for those yet to kick off a big data project.