Low-code/no-code tools are becoming increasingly important in digital transformation initiatives. These platforms enable rapid application development and deployment by allowing business users to build applications by writing little to no code. This approach is helping organizations accelerate the pace of their digital transformation efforts and achieve better results.
For managed service providers (MSPs), these tools can save time and money and help get products to market faster — all critically important for meeting customer demand.
The low-code/no-code development platform market is snowballing, with new vendors and products entering the market all the time. As a result, Statista estimates that the global low-code development market revenue will hit USD 65 billion by 2027.
This growth is driven by the need for faster application development, the growing demand from citizen developers, and the rise of low-code as a service. However, with so many low-code/no-code platforms, it can be difficult to know which one is right for your organization. We have compiled a list of the top 10 low-code/no-code tools on the market today to help you decide. First, let’s go through a quick 101 on the basics of low-code/no-code development.
Also read: Best Managed Service Provider (MSP) Tools
What Is Low-Code/No-Code Development?
Low-code/no-code development is a type of software development that aims to reduce the amount of code needed to create a working application. This is achieved through the use of low-code/no-code platforms. These tools usually involve drag-and-drop interfaces and come with pre-built modules that can be used to create an app without coding. In addition, the ready-made building blocks are configurable to meet the project’s specific needs.
This approach to building applications has several benefits:
- Rapid application development and deployment.
- Increased flexibility and agility.
- Non-technical business users can create and modify applications without coding expertise.
- Applications built using low-code development platforms are typically more reliable and stable (fewer bugs), as they are built using pre-made components and frameworks.
- Developers can use low-code/no-code tools to create prototypes or minimum viable products (MVPs), which can be valuable for testing purposes.
- Low-code development platforms have built-in features and modules that allow for the easy integration of third-party applications and data.
- Low-code/no-code development platforms are more cost-effective because they don’t require hiring the services of experienced developers.
Best Low-Code/No-Code Development Platforms
Below is our list of ten of the best low-code/no-code development platforms.
Caspio is a cloud-based solution that enables businesses to build online database applications without writing code. The cross-platform, all-in-one tool gives you everything you need to digitally transform business processes and operations. It includes an integrated cloud database, a visual application builder, enterprise-grade security, regulatory compliance, and scalable global infrastructure.
- Build Cloud Apps 10-20x Faster: With Caspio, you can quickly build custom cloud applications without coding.
- No Coding or Infrastructure Needed: Caspio requires no coding or infrastructure setup. Simply sign up and start building.
- Deploy Seamlessly on Any Site: Deploy your apps on any website or blog with the easy-to-use embed code.
- Enterprise-Grade, IT-Approved: Caspio is used by some of the world’s most respected brands and is backed by 24/7 support and expert services.
- No coding is required.
- An integrated cloud database.
- Quickly deploy on any site.
- Enterprise-grade security and compliance.
- Unlimited users and app usage.
- Never pay per user.
- 24/7 support.
- Not as powerful as a complete integrated development environment.
Caspio has five pricing tiers as follows:
- Explore: $150 per month
- Build: $300 per month
- Grow: $600 per month
- Corporate: Custom pricing
All paid plans come with a free trial.
UiPath RPA | Robotic Process Automation
UiPath is a leading low-code development platform for Robotic Process Automation (RPA). It offers a complete suite of software tools that enable businesses to automate their business processes without the need for programming skills. The intuitive drag-and-drop interface allows you to create bots that can interact with applications and websites, making it possible to automate all sorts of tasks, including data entry, invoice processing, and customer service.
- Drag-and-Drop Interface: The UiPath platform offers a simple drag-and-drop interface that makes it easy to create bots without programming skills.
- No Coding Required: While you can use UiPath’s low-code development platform to create your bots, you don’t have to write code. You can also find and use pre-built bots or buy bot extensions from the UiPath marketplace.
- Robust Bot Library: The UiPath bot library is one of the largest and most comprehensive in the industry, with over 1,500+ bots available.
- Integrated Development Environment (IDE): The UiPath platform includes an integrated development environment (IDE) that allows you to edit, debug, and manage your bots.
- Intuitive drag-and-drop interface.
- No coding is required.
- Large bot library.
- Integrated development environment (IDE).
- High cost compared to its competitors.
UiPath does not publish pricing information. Contact sales for pricing. However, all plans come with a free trial.
OutSystems is the most complete and extensible full-stack application development platform. As a result, developers can rapidly produce and deploy various applications, from consumer apps to crucial business systems, using high-productivity, linked, and AI-assisted technology.
- Visual Tools and AI: Seamlessly connect to data and systems, drag-and-drop components to build low- or no-code applications, and leverage AI capabilities to automate tasks.
- App Lifecycle Optimization: Ensure that all your app versions are in sync and compliant, get feedback quickly while you’re coding, deploy continuously and automatically, and optimize seamlessly.
- Scale Department-Wide: OutSystems ensures that your low-code apps are just as scalable as traditional apps—and faster to deploy.
- Enterprise-Grade Security: Protect your data and systems with the most comprehensive security in the low-code development market.
- Intuitive visual tools.
- Seamless connection to data and systems.
- Drag-and-drop components.
- AI capabilities.
- Customizing the user interface is a difficult process.
OutSystems has three pricing tiers—Free, Standard, and Enterprise—but does not publish pricing information. A free trial is available for paid plans.
ServiceNow App Engine
The ServiceNow App Engine is a low-code development platform that allows you to quickly build custom applications without coding. In addition, the platform includes an easy-to-use visual interface, a comprehensive library of pre-built components, and enterprise-grade security.
- Visual Interface: The ServiceNow App Engine offers a simple graphical interface that makes it easy to build custom applications without coding.
- Pre-Built Components: The platform includes a comprehensive library of pre-built components, making it easy to add standard features to your applications.
- Enterprise-Grade Security: The ServiceNow App Engine offers enterprise-grade security that helps protect your data and applications.
- Easy-to-use and straightforward visual interface.
- Pre-built components.
- Enterprise-grade security.
- It takes time to learn the platform.
The company does not publish pricing information, but you can sign up for a free demo.
Claris FileMaker is a low-code development tool that allows non-technical users to create and share custom apps tailored to their specific requirements that can connect with internal systems, take advantage of new technologies, and enable teams to share, collaborate, and manage all their data. Few platforms have a comprehensive set of powerful tools, expert partners, instructional materials, customer support, and a flourishing community and marketplace.
- Snap Together Add-ons: This is the newest feature that allows users to take advantage of add-ons to create robust applications quickly. For example, developers can instantly add calendars, kanban boards, responsive photo galleries, and more.
- Mobile AI: Claris FileMaker uses intelligent technologies like Core ML for image and sentiment analysis, Siri Shortcuts for voice-activated interactions, and NFC reading, all on mobile.
- Complete Tooling: FileMaker offers complete tooling that is simple, reliable, and fast. It is designed to help users of any technical expertise easily develop the custom apps they need without sacrificing quality or features.
- If you’re a developer and know what you’re doing, the time you’ll save by creating a whole application around a database is enormous.
- Sound referencing system for updates.
- Easy to learn and use.
- Expensive licensing.
Claris Filemaker has two pricing tiers as follows:
- Essentials: $19 per user per month for 5 to 10 users.
- Standard: $39 per user per month for 5 to 99 users.
Plans are billed annually and come with a free trial.
With Spring Boot, you can quickly build stand-alone, production-ready Spring-based applications that “just work” without requiring a lot of setup. The firm takes a dogmatic viewpoint on the Spring platform and third-party libraries, allowing newcomers to get up and running quickly. As a result, most Spring Boot apps require minimal configuration in the Spring framework.
- Create Stand-Alone Applications: Spring Boot applications are stand-alone and do not require a web server or application server.
- Embed Tomcat, Jetty, or Undertow Directly: You can embed Tomcat, Jetty, or Undertow directly into your Spring Boot application to create a self-contained system.
- Simplified Maven Configuration: Spring Boot uses a simplified Maven configuration that makes it easy to get started.
- Numerous Automatic Configurations: Spring Boot automatically detects and configures numerous features such as data source integration, caching, and security.
- Production-Ready Features: The platform includes production-ready features such as metrics and health checks that help you monitor and improve the performance of your applications.
- Zero-Code Generation and XML Configuration: Spring Boot does not require code generation or XML configuration.
- Very easy to get started.
- Produces self-contained, production-ready applications with little effort.
- Numerous features are automatically detected and configured.
- Some dependency conflicts.
Spring Boot does not publish pricing information.
Appian is a low-code development platform with a strong focus on process automation. It offers a comprehensive set of capabilities for building low-code applications, including model-based development, visual design, drag-and-drop assembly, and workflow automation.
- Model-Based Development: Appian’s model-based development approach allows you to quickly develop models of your business processes that anyone in the organization can access.
- Simplified Workflow Design: Appian’s visual design approach makes it easy to create sophisticated workflows without coding skills.
- Rapid Application Assembly: The drag-and-drop assembly allows you to quickly assemble your applications by simply dragging and dropping pre-built components into place.
- Theming and Branding: Appian provides comprehensive theming and branding capabilities to customize your applications’ appearance easily.
- Built-in Reporting and Dashboards: A wide range of built-in reporting and dashboard capabilities allow you to visualize the performance of your applications quickly.
- Integrated Mobile Capabilities: Appian offers integrated mobile capabilities that allow you to easily build mobile applications using your process models.
- Comprehensive set of capabilities.
- Easy to use.
- Theming and branding.
- Integrated mobile capabilities.
- Fairly new on the market.
Appian does not provide pricing information. Contact them for a custom quote.
Developers use Retool to create sophisticated tools quickly rather than building from the ground up.
The app builder offers drag-and-drop building components (for example, tables, buttons, forms, and charts) that allow you to create an app in minutes. Then you can create your own custom code, connect to any data source, and construct bespoke tools for your company by adding more elements.
Many businesses, such as DoorDash, Peloton, Brex, and FOX, use Retool to create internal tools that enable them to operate more efficiently and produce better business results.
- Reusable Queries and a Drag-and-Drop UI: Retool’s query builder makes it easy to reuse queries across your applications. You can also quickly create apps by dragging and dropping predefined UI components into place.
- Connect All Your Data Sources: Retool provides a wide range of connectors that allow you to easily connect to any data source. This includes both on-premises and cloud-based data sources.
- Replace Error-Prone Scripts: Retool makes it easy to replace these scripts with custom applications. Retool can also create sophisticated admin panels and other internal tools.
- Library of Native Integrations: Retool includes a library of native integrations allowing you to connect to popular cloud-based services quickly.
- Easy to use.
- Replace error-prone scripts with custom applications.
- Library of native integrations.
- The number of models and queries can overwhelm users.
Retool has four pricing tiers for cloud-hosted plans as follows:
- Team: $10 per user per month
- Business: $50 per user per month
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
The company charges $10 per user per month for its Starter pack for self-hosting plans. In addition, it offers flexible pricing for the Enterprise option and a free basic plan for developers building apps on their infrastructure.
All paid plans come with a free trial.
Blue Prism – RPA | Robotic Process Automation
Blue Prism is a worldwide leader in business robotic process automation (RPA) and intelligent automation, revolutionizing how businesses operate. The company has customers in 170 countries and 70 industry sectors, with 30% of the Forbes Global 2,000 ranking, using new ways to generate value by unlocking efficiencies and improving operations.
Robots that think like humans are an emerging technology with huge potential to boost productivity, enhance the quality of life, and preserve human lives.
- Design Studio: The Blue Prism Design Studio is a visual interface for creating, running, monitoring, and managing software robots that the company dubs “digital workers.”
- Autonomous Software Robots: These are self-contained software programs that can be deployed quickly and run independently.
- Control Room: The Control Room provides a single central point to manage all your software robots.
- Scalability, Extensibility, and Reusability: You can quickly and easily create software robots that are reusable and scalable.
- Design Studio with a drag and drop interface.
- Autonomous software robots with advanced AI capabilities.
- Control Room for real-time process transparency.
- Some integrations, such as Azure data sources, are complex for new users to set up.
Blue Prism offers a free trial of its software but does not publish pricing information.
GeneXus is a low-code software development platform that uses artificial intelligence techniques to create apps incrementally. It provides a platform for leading execution tools and languages and a popular DBMS, and it reduces the work needed to develop and maintain business applications and multi-channel user experiences.
- Automatic Maintenance and Evolution: GeneXus maintains your applications for you so you don’t have to worry about them.
- Multi-Experience: GeneXus allows you to develop applications that work on multiple devices and platforms.
- Agile, Incremental Approach: GeneXus lets you develop your applications in a step-by-step, gradual way.
- Easy to Learn the Language: With GeneXus, you only need to know one language to develop all applications.
- Future-Proof: GeneXus is constantly updated with the latest technologies, so your applications are always up to date.
- Automatic maintenance and evolution.
- Agile, incremental approach.
- Easy to learn, one single language.
- Complex licensing model especially for smaller enterprises.
GeneXus has five tiers as follows:
- GeneXus for SAP
- GeneXus for ISV
- GeneXus Enterprise
- GeneXus for Startups
- GeneXus for Students
Actual pricing information is not published, but you can try the product for free.
Choosing a Low-Code/No-Code Development Platform
Ultimately, choosing a low-code application development platform depends on your specific needs and requirements. However, the tools listed above are excellent choices and a great place to start. When making your decision, keep in mind the following factors:
- Ease of Use: How easy is the platform to use? Does it require coding knowledge?
- Flexibility: How flexible is the platform? Can it be used for a wide range of applications?
- Cost: Is the platform affordable? Is a free trial or free version available?
- Support: Does the company offer customer support? Are there online resources available?
Low-code development platforms are revolutionizing the way businesses create and maintain applications. They’re easy to use, flexible, and affordable, and they offer a wealth of features and benefits. So if you’re looking for an efficient, cost-effective, and fast way to develop applications, a low-code/no-code development platform is definitely worth considering.