Channel Insider content and product recommendations are editorially independent. We may make money when you click on links to our partners. Learn More.

Technology Is Shaping the Channel, CompTIA Reports

Technology Is Shaping the Channel, CompTIA ReportsTechnology Is Shaping the Channel, CompTIA Reports

CompTIA’s report predicts that the channel will shift away from product resellers to service providers specializing in vertical industries or solution niches.

Modest GrowthModest Growth

The global IT industry is forecast to grow 4.1% in 2017, according to CompTIA.

IT SpendIT Spend

Hardware, software and services accounted for 59% of the global total IT spend in 2016, while telecom services accounted for the remaining 41%, according to IDC.

Technology's RolesTechnology’s Roles

Enable business processes: 43%,
Drive business outcomes: 39%,
Play a critical role in strategy: 36%,
Redefine the business: 34%

Impact of Emerging TechnologiesImpact of Emerging Technologies

21% of the respondents said emerging technologies will have a significant impact on their bottom line in 2017, while 40% said it will have a modest impact, and 21% expect it to have a minor impact.

Digital TransformationDigital Transformation

73% of the industry executives surveyed are extremely or highly confident in applying technology to meet business goals.

Security UpsideSecurity Upside

43% of the respondents said security has the potential to outperform in 2017.

Sizing the ChannelSizing the Channel

Industry estimates indicate that about two-thirds of IT products flow through or are influenced by the indirect sales channel.

Channel OptimismChannel Optimism

63% of the industry executives surveyed are generally optimistic about the channel’s prospects for the next two years.

Mixed MessagesMixed Messages

39% of channel firms said the opportunity in cloud computing is the top reason to be optimistic about the channel’s future. But 30% said it’s the top reason to be pessimistic.

Requirements for an Optimistic Channel FutureRequirements for an Optimistic Channel Future

Availability of skilled IT workers.
More training (business and technical).
More widely available and valuable certifications.
Younger people embracing the channel as a career.