Why Insider Security Threats Are a Growing Problem

Why Insider Security Threats Are a Growing Problem

Why Insider Security Threats Are a Growing ProblemWhy Insider Security Threats Are a Growing Problem

By Gina Roos

Rising Insider ThreatsRising Insider Threats

62% of IT security professionals said insider threats have increased in the past 12 months.

Big ConcernsBig Concerns

The top sources of insider threats include insufficient data protection (53%), more data leaving the network (50%) and more devices with sensitive data (50%).

Threat DisconnectThreat Disconnect

The average data breach lasts nearly seven months, yet only 11% of organizations believe it would take even six months to detect an insider threat.

No VisibilityNo Visibility

45% of respondents had no idea how many insider threats actually occurred in their organizations during the last year.

Prevention MeasuresPrevention Measures

30% of organizations said they do not have the appropriate controls to prevent an insider attack, and 23% are unsure if they have the appropriate controls.

App VulnerabilitiesApp Vulnerabilities

Applications most vulnerable to insider threats include collaboration and communication (45%), cloud storage and file sharing (43%), and finance and accounting (38%).

Riskiest UsersRiskiest Users

Privileged users pose the biggest insider threat (59%), followed by contractors and consultants (48%), and regular employees (46%).

Detection ChallengesDetection Challenges

Key reasons detection and prevention of insider attacks are increasing: insiders have credentialed access to the network and services (66%), increased use of apps that can leak data (58%) and increased amount of data that leaves protected boundary/perimeter (42%).

Biggest BarriersBiggest Barriers

The biggest perceived barriers to better insider threat management include a lack of training and expertise (63%), insufficient budgets (48%) and a lack of priority for insider threat defense (43%).

Threat ToolsThreat Tools

The most popular strategies for combatting insider threats include user training (45%), background checks (41%) and user activity monitoring (39%).

Effective ProtectionEffective Protection

The most effective tools in protecting against insider threats include policies and training (36%), data-loss prevention (DLP) tools (31%), and identity and access management (IAM) (30%).

Deterrence TacticsDeterrence Tactics

Most organizations focus their insider threat management resources on deterrence tactics (63%), followed by detection (51%), and analysis and forensics (41%).

RELATED ARTICLES

Must Read