EMC Iomega StorCenter
Looking at some of the new IT storage options that have a price tag designed for small business and midsized business? We’ve rounded up some of the top new offerings in the space from vendors including Cisco, Dell, Dot Hill, EMC, IBM, Netgear and Tandberg.
Cisco NSS 300 Series Smart Storage
A relatively new player to the storage market, Cisco is responding to its channel's request for a storage-plus solution for the under-$5,000 network attached storage market with the Cisco NSS 300 Series Smart Storage, which ranges from $913 to $5,625.
- Intel 1.66 GHz dual-core Atom processor with 1 GB memory
- Works with up to six internal 3.5- or 2.5-inch SATA hard disk drives
- Expansion ports: 5 USB 2.0, 2 eSATA
- RAID 0/1/5/6, hot-swappable drives
- iSCSI target for virtualized deployments
- Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) 256-bit on-disk data encryption
- Energy-efficient operation: Schedule power on and off, and conserve power with an Energy Star V rated power adapter and hard disk drives that spin down on inactivity
Dell EqualLogic PS6000XVS, PS6010XVS iSCSI SANs
Tied with HP for fourth place in the overall disk market, Dell has launched two new lines of SMB storage solutions. The EqualLogic PS6000XVS and PS6010XVS virtualized iSCSI SANs features include;
- Dual 1GbE iSCSI controllers with a total of 4 GB† battery-backed memory
- Eight (8) hot-pluggable Solid State Disk (SSD) drives and Eight (8) hot-pluggable SAS hard disk drives
- 4.4 TB using eight (8) 100 GB† SSD drives and eight (8) 450 GB† SAS disk drives
- Accelerated RAID 6
- Availability in August
Dell PowerVault MD3200 Series And MD3200i
Targeted at entry-level storage consolidation in virtualized environments that require high availability, the Dell PowerVault MD3200i iSCSI SAN solution MSRP starts at $7,243, and specifications include:
- MD3200i – Up to twelve (12) 3.5 inch SAS, Near-line SAS and SSD drives
- MD3220i – Up to twenty-four (24) 2.5 inch SAS, Near-line SAS and SSD drives
- 15,000 RPM SAS drives available in 300 GB, 450 GB and 600 GB
- 7,200 RPM Near-line SAS drives available in 500 GB, 1TB and 2TB
- 15,000 RPM SAS drives available in 73 GB and 146 GB
- 10,000 RPM SAS drives available in 146 GB and 300 GB
- 7,200 RPM Near-line SAS drives available in 500 GB
- Solid State Drive (SSD) available in 149 GB (available in 3.5" HDD carriers)
- Expand up to 96 total drives using MD1200 and/or MD1220 expansion enclosures
- Support for RAID levers 0, 1, 10, 5, 6
Dot Hill AssuredSAN 3000 Series Appliances
A new entrant to the SMB storage channel, Dot Hill has been selling to OEMs -- including HP, HDS, NetApp and Sun -- for more than 25 years. It has big expectations for its new line of SMB data protection solutions, the AssuredSAN 3000 Series disk-to-disk data protection appliances, with MSRP starting at $20,200 for a dual controller Fibre Channel system fully populated with 500GB SATA drives.
Available in a variety of configurations including "R" models with AssuredRemote, AssuredSnap and AssuredCopy, "S" models with AssuredSnap and AssuredCopy, and "C" base models with free 60-day trial access to data protection software, specifications include:
- 8Gb Fibre Channel/1Gb iSCSI hybrid arrays in a compact, entry level 2U form factor (3930 for large form factor 3.5-inch disks, and 3920 for small form factor 2.5-inch disks)
- RAID support for 6Gb SAS Drives
- Sustained bandwidth of more than 1750 MB per second in sequential read applications
- Supports up to 144 drives fully configured
EMC Iomega StorCenter ix12-300r Network Storage Array
Accounting for a quarter (24.6 percent) of Q1 disk revenues, EMC addresses the SMB storage market through its Iomega line, including the new Iomega StorCenter ix12-300r Network Storage array that starts at under $5,000, expandable up to 12 drives and 24TB (under $10,000) in a two-rack unit (2U) form factor.
Product specs include (http://go.iomega.com/en-us/products/network-storage-rack/ix12-300r/ix12-300r/?partner=4760):
- 2U form factor, 12 slots for 3.5 inch SATA-II Hard Disk Drives
- Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz CPU
- 2GB DDR2 Memory
- Four (4) SATA-II hard disk drives
- RAID 0, 1, 10, 5, and 6 protection on a per-Storage Pool Basis
IBM DS3500 Express
Just behind EMC on the disk parade hit list, IBM is better known for its enterprise expertise, but is tackling the SMB market with its channel-friendly Express line, including the DS3500 Express, which doubles the capacity and performance of any previous storage product in the DS3000 family and offers multi-protocol support.
Available in two models, 1746-C2A and 1746-C4A, with MSRP starting under $9,000, the specifications include:
- Dual Active, hot-swappable RAID controllers
- 1 GB cache per controller with 2 GB upgrade (battery-backed)
- Three host interface options -- four or eight 6 Gbps SAS ports, eight 8 Gbps FC ports and four 6 Gbps SAS ports, or eight 1 Gbps iSCSI ports and four 6 Gbps SAS ports
- Two 6 Gb SAS drive ports
- Up to 48 standard and 96 drive premium feature upgrade—high performance SAS drives, Nearline SAS drives, and FDE SAS drives supported; and SAN support.
Netgear ReadyNAS 3100 And 4200
Netgear is the fifth largest storage vendor, and first in the sub-$5k and third in the sub-$25k segments, and has launched two new rack storage solutions optimized for virtualization and up to 500 users. The 1U rack-mount ReadyNAS 3100, up to 8 TB capacity and 4 SATA channels, starts at $3,800, while the 2U ReadyNAS 4200, up to 24TB and 12 SATA channels, starts at $10,000.
Common features include:
- Unified architecture support for both NAS and iSCSI SAN applications
- Hot swappable enterprise SATA drives
- Redundant system cooling, network port and power supply
- Error-Correcting Code (ECC) memory
Sans Digital MobileNAS MN4LA+B
Starting at $759, Sans Digital's MobileNAS MN4LA+B provides the same capability of supporting both NAS and iSCSI simultaneously while increasing the performance with double amount of bandwidth when compared to the company's MN4L+B.
Specs (http://www.sansdigital.com/mobilenas/mn4laplusb.html) include:
- 4-bay iSCSI and NAS unified storage tower
- Intel Atom-based Dual Core D510 CPUs
- Dual Gigabit Ethernet ports
Tandberg DPS2000 NAS Series
Known primarily for its tape products, Tandberg Data recently launched its first unified NAS and SAN appliance, the DPS2000 NAS Series, starting at $2,290 for 4TB.
The 1U rackmount DPS2140 features include:
- HDD Capacity - 4TB (4 x 1TB)
- HDD Tray - 4 x hot-swappable and lockable tray
- Intel Atom D510 1.66GHz
- 1GB DDRII RAM, 128MB flash (DOM)
- RAID Support - Single Disk, JBOD, RAID 0/ 1/ 5/ 6/ 5+ hot spare