CHANNEL INSIDER LABS: How to Build a Green Instant-On PC
For a power supply, we chose a 750-watt Toughpower PSU from Thermaltake. At a street price of around $130, the Toughpower 750w offers 85 percent efficiency and RoHS compliance, helping to make the unit "green." The unit features modular cables and integrated cable management, which allow it to be configured for a number of scenarios, ranging from multiple video cards to integrated RAID arrays. The complete specs are:
- Stable 750W continuous output
- Four independent & dedicated +12V rails(12V1,12V2,12V3,12V4) provide superior performance for PC system (combined loading of 82A)
- Three eight-pin and three six-pin PCI-E connectors design supports Multi-GPU graphic card.
- Supports Dual Core CPU / Quad Core CPU / Nvidia SLI & Quad SLI and all Multi-Core GPU technologies.
- Modularized Cable Management to eliminate clutter and improve airflow inside the case.
- Independent Voltage Circuit offers unflappable current delivery under heavy load.
- Strict voltage regulation (±3 percent) provides steady voltage for system.
- Active Power Factor Correction (PF>0.99) and high efficiency (up to 87 percent)
- Industrial-grade components (capacitor, transformer, etc).
- High reliability: MTBF>120,000 hours.
- Quiet and reliable 14-cm ball-bearing fan.
- Protections: Over Current, Over Voltage, Under Voltage, Over Temperature, Over Power and Short-Circuit protection.
- Safety / EMI Approvals: CE, CB, TUV, FCC, UL, CUL and BSMI certified.
- Dimension: 200 mm (L) by 160 mm (W) by 86 mm (H).
- Cooling: 140-mm fan, 2300 rpm, 16dBA at 1300 rpm.