Trend Micro Boosts SMB Security SuiteBy eChannelLine | Posted 2009-05-20 Email Print
WEBINAR: On-demand webcast
Take Advantage of Cloud Backup to Kick-Start Your Disaster Recovery REGISTER >
Next-generation security infrastructure provides a unique approach to blocking viruses, spyware, spam and Web threats before they reach networks run by small and medium-sized businesses.
Trend Micro is introducing the latest version of Trend Micro Worry-Free
Business Security at a time when its research shows more than half of small to
midsized businesses (SMBs) continue to struggle with adequate security
Reinforced with new features that are powered by the Trend Micro Smart Protection Network, this next-generation security infrastructure provides a unique approach to blocking viruses, spyware, spam and Web threats before they reach business networks.
Dal Gemmell, global product marketing manager of Trend Micro, said the vendor did much research and zeroed in on a number of "key pain points" SMBs were experiencing when it came to security.
"Almost nine out of 10 small businesses have some form of antivirus but almost half of them suffer attacks ... another big pain point is the impact on performance ... and channel partners are trying to become the trusted adviser and they're hearing complaints about PCs slowing down and impacting performance," he said. "Complexity of the solution; both small businesses and the channel partner doesn't want to spend a lot of time configuring security products ... they want to deploy quickly and move on to higher value add tasks."
In terms of SMBs acquiring adequate security, Gemmell said it boils down to partner-client comfort levels.
"With security, it really depends upon the relationship between the channel partner and the customer," he said. "That's not something that's unique to security."
The Smart Protection Network is at the core of both previous and new technologies integrated with Worry-Free Business Security. With its underpinnings of automatic Web Threat Protection, all-in-one, integrated defense against a variety of threats, and zero administration, Trend Micro Worry Free Business Security 6.0 has "smart" new features that imparts a smarter and more effective approach than conventional antivirus:
- URL Filtering, unique to Trend Micro and unavailable in competitive solutions, helps maintain business productivity and adds protection against Web threats by proactively blocking inappropriate, risky or non-business related Websites. Users can configure filter strength, rules and business/leisure hours.
- Smart Protection Network-Powered Smart Scan is a breakthrough, approach that provides more effective protection than typical conventional antivirus. Smart Scan scans faster, and updates quicker to detect and remove the increasing number of threats, while minimizing the performance impact to protected computers.
- By leveraging Smart Protection Network file reputation technologies, Smart Scan stops threats by storing the majority of detection technologies (up to 80 percent compared with conventional scanning) on the local security server and accessed as needed. By keeping these technologies off of local PCs and servers, this approach extends the life of hardware and prevents the slowdown of computers over time.
- Smart Protection Network-Powered Smart Feedback, another technology unique to Trend Micro, simply and automatically feeds back security-related issues and events to Trend Micro, where it is quickly analyzed, and updates are made to rapidly protect all customers. Smart Feedback identifies new threats faster to protect users rapidly. Faster identification and response to new threats means faster protection.
There's also an enhanced version of Worry-Free Remote Manager, designed for channel partners. Worry-Free Remote Manager provides integrated installation with both Worry-Free Business Security 6.0 and now supports InterScan Messaging Hosted Security for stopping spam and other e-mail threats before they reach the network. Worry-Free Remote Manager allows partners to add customers to their console during their initial installation of Worry-Free Business Security. Worry-Free Remote Manager support will be available alongside Worry-Free Business Security 6.0.
"The ability to import and export configuration settings; for channel partners ... rather than having to do the same configurations for 10 customers, I can export the data files from one customer to another and I don't need to configure it," he explained. "Worry-Free Remote Manager is available to our partners at no cost. ... We also included support for hosted mail filtering so from a single console you can see all of your Trend endpoint customers and get status on the hosted mail filtering as well. ... We're willing to invest in them to help them become more operationally efficient."
"If small businesses think increasing protection against threats means decreasing computer performance over time, they need to think again," said Steve Quane, general manager of Trend Micro's SMB business unit. "Worry-Free Business Security, with features powered by the Trend Micro Smart Protection Network, keeps constantly updated, scans faster while minimizing impact to PCs, and requires no user interaction. Trend Micro allows businesses to stop worrying about security so they can focus on their business."
Other new features in Worry-Free Business Security 6.0 include:
- USB Device Protection automatically protects PCs from infected USB devices, preventing threats such as the Autorun malware from spreading across business networks. Threats coming from removable media devices such as USB sticks are on the rise, meaning small businesses cannot afford to ignore this potential source of infections.
- Enhanced Security Dashboard reinforces Trend Micro's goal of zero-administration solutions for its small business customers. It provides at-a-glance status checking. Users can sort by dashboard traffic lights to quickly understand security status, which minimizes time and energy spent on analyzing computers status.
- Worry-Free Business Security 6.0, certified for Windows Vista, is expected to be available for download on May 29. Per-user pricing varies by seat count and price decreases with volume. For a one-year license of Worry-Free Business Security Standard, the two- to 25-seat level is $37.75 per user. For a one-year license of Worry-Free Business Security Advanced, the two- to 25-seat level is $62.02 per user.