A Closer Look at the USG100By Frank Ohlhorst | Posted 2008-09-08 Email Print
Re-Thinking HR: What Every CIO Needs to Know About Tomorrow's Workforce
With the ZyWall USG100 Unified Threat Management appliance, Zyxel dares to go beyond the firewall concept and tread where Symantec, Sonicwall, Fortinet and WatchGuard reign supreme.
Zyxel is positioning the USG100 as a comprehensive security appliance for offices with up to 25 users. That clearly places the unit in the small business realm, a market saddled by many challenges. Small businesses have some unique needs centered on affordability and ease of use. What's more, small businesses need access to the same level of security that is commonly available to enterprises, just without the complexity. Zyxel has recognized those needs and has built the USG100 from the ground up to service the small business market, taking a different approach than many other vendors that "dumb down" their enterprise offerings to serve the small business market.
The USG100 offers a feature set that includes:
- Anti-virus: ( ICSA-certified Zyxel Anti-Virus and Kaspersky Lab)
- Intrusion detection and prevention
- VPN (ICSA-certified IPSec , SSL, L2TP, up to 50 tunnels); two licenses included.
- Instant messaging and peer-to-peer management
- User-aware configuration and policy engine
- Bandwidth management and traffic prioritization
- Multiple ISP link support for high availability and redundancy
- Content filtering
- Support for 3G wireless networks (High-Speed Downlink Packet Access and Evolution Data Optimized)