SonicWall Brings Next Generation Unified Threat Management to the SMB Market.By Frank Ohlhorst | Print
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
The NSA 240 UTM Appliance promises to bring enterprise-class security to small and midsize business via the channel by combining all major security technologies into an easily managed device.
When it comes to the NSA 240 from SonicWall, perhaps the question should be "what doesn’t it do?" Built upon the idea that all network traffic needs to be monitored and validated, the NSA relies on Re-Assembly Free Deep Packet Inspection (RFDPI) to provide Intrusion Protection, Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Content Filtering, and Application Management in a single, affordable desktop appliance.
While UTM appliances are nothing new to the SMB market, the NSA 240 brings capabilities and a feature set not found in other devices. For example, the NSA 240 includes support for 3G wireless networking cards via a PC card slot in the device. That allows wireless broadband to be used for connectivity - where wired connections do not exist. 3G networking can also be used for fail over and traffic bonding. For some remote locations, such as construction job sites or undeveloped areas, the inclusion of 3G support is a must-have, bringing Internet connectivity to areas where none existed before.
Of course, other solutions exist that allow 3G wireless networks to be created, but none offer the integrated UTM capability, along with VPN support and all of the security features found in the NSA 240.
The product offers a very robust feature set and includes:
- Deep Packet Inspection Firewall.
- Gateway anti-virus, anti-spyware, intrusion prevention, and application firewall for perimeter and internal protection.
- Application Firewall, business application prioritization and QoS.
- 2-core Architecture that supports 600 Mbps Stateful Packet Inspection Firewall, 150 Mbps 3DES and AES VPN Throughput, 110 Mbps Full Unified Threat Management (UTM) Inspection.
- Three (3) 10/100/1000 Copper Gigabit Ethernet and six (6) 10/100 FastEthernet interfaces
- Automated and Dynamic Security Updates.
- Stateful Active/Passive Failover, ISP Failover, and WAN Redundancy
- 802.1q VLAN or SonicWALL PortShield Segmentation
- Integrated Network Security Policy and Management.