Lenovo Thinkpad T400s Laptop Combines Thin and Light with High PerformanceBy Jessica Davis | Print
Lenovo says its Thinkpad T400s laptop combines what users loved about the Thinkpad x300 laptop -- the thin and light features -- with the high performance enterprise features available with Lenovo's T series of laptops.
Lenovo is releasing what the PC maker is billing as the best of both
worlds – a combination of its thin and light laptop, the Lenovo
Thinkpad x300, and its powerful Thinkpad T series of laptops.
"The T400 is our most popular notebook that we sell and make," says
David Critchley, worldwide segment marketing manager for the ThinkPad T
Series. "We sell 1.25 million of those a year to large enterprises.
It’s durable, rugged and high performance."
Lenovo’s new entry, the Lenovo Thinkpad T400s, represents a marriage of
the X300 and the T400, weighing 3.9 lbs and at just 0.83 inches thick,
but with a 14-inch screen and a full performance processor. Lenovo says
pricing for the system starts at $1,599, and the laptop will be sold
through channel partners and Lenovo's Website.
Lenovo’s Thinkpad T400s also comes with features to make VOIP (voice
over IP) easier than ever. It offers hotkey access to VOIP applications
including teleconferencing and video conferencing applications. The
device includes a 2 megapixel camera.
It ships with Microsoft Windows Vista OS and comes with a Microsoft
Windows XP downgrade. A choice of two processors is available, the
Intel SP9400 or the Intel SP9600. Both are dual core but offer a lower
thermal output than some of Intel’s other dual core processors.
The T400s features three USB ports, plus an audio jack on the side that
integrates both the headphone and microphone, taking the same headset
as the user’s BlackBerry.
For users who want to switch out memory or wireless cards, Lenovo has
provided a single screw trap door on the bottom of the laptop for
Specifications are as follows:
- Choices of Intel 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo processors (standard voltage) and graphics
- Choices of solid state drive storage up to 128 GB or 250 GB hard drive storage
- 9.5 mm DVD burner or Blu-Ray player
- Ethernet, Wi-Fi and optional WiMAX3, WWAN,3 Bluetooth and ultrawideband connectivity
- 34mm Express Card slot or 5-in-1 multimedia card reader
- Support for Lenovo’s ConstantConnect and Protect technology that allows users to maximize integration of their BlackBerry smartphone and ThinkPad laptop
- Nearly six hours of battery life
- Supports up to two monitors via a Display Port and VGA connector
- Meets the Energy Star 5.0 criteria for energy efficiency
- Built-in USB/eSATA port
The laptop also marries LED indicator lights to their functions.
For example, an LED light indicates whether Caps Lock is off or on. The
keyboard also features oversized delete and escape keys. And the space
between the keys is smaller, says Critchley, minimizing the chances of
trapping sesame seeds between them as the user eats lunch at his or her
Lenovo will also be launching three new docking devices – a port replicator, a mini doc and a mini doc plus. The docs will also work with additional T series devices Lenovo plans to launch next year, the company says.