Target Markets for Hyper-VBy Frank Ohlhorst | Posted 2008-06-26 Email Print
After a long, intensive beta process, Microsoft's Hyper-V virtualization is now ready for the masses. But will enterprises turn away from leading players such as VMware and Citrix and flock to the new technology?
Pretty much any enterprise can benefit from the virtual server model; even small businesses will appreciate the increased reliability offered by a virtualized environment. For solution providers, early adopters will become the bread and butter for maximizing the sales potential of Hyper-V, associated software, services and hardware. Luckily, it is easy to identify those who will be most likely to adopt Hyper-V based solutions. Those potential early adopters include:
- Those looking to consolidate hardware in the data center.
- Those looking to reduce server management overhead.
- Those looking to increase efficiency.
- Those looking to reduce operational costs.
- Those looking to increase network resiliency.
- Those looking to improve or enable scalability.
Most any business could fit into one or more of those categories, which will make selling Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V an easy challenge for most solution providers. What’s more, efficiency improvements, along with proposed savings should make it easy for those business operatives in charge of finances to loosen the purse strings.