VMworld Vendors Hawk Cloud Offerings, ServicesBy Chris Talbot | Print
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
IT vendors attending VMworld rolled out the newest cloud services and offerings including VMware Zimbra email implementations, integrations with VMware architecture and more.
With cloud being the hot topic on everybody’s mind, it’s no surprise that the major trends and news coming out of VMworld in Las Vegas this week have to do with what VMware has been calling the "journey to the cloud."
Even the Solutions Exchange exhibitor area is filled with IT vendors and channel partners talking about the evolution (or in some cases, revolution) that is happening as businesses and IT departments are embracing and deploying private, public and hybrid cloud services and solutions. More than 250 companies showed off the latest virtualization and cloud products, and more than 19,000 people in attended VMware’s annual conference.
Here are a few of the highlights from this week’s VMworld conference:
- VMware introduced several new and enhanced products to make the transition to a hybrid cloud computing environment easier. Check out the full story here.
- Following up on its announced of VirtualSystem for Microsoft and Citrix at HP Discover, HP introduced a version of VirtualSystem for VMware vSphere 5. See the full story here.
- F5 Networks built on its two-year-old virtualization strategy by announcing new technology that enables faster long-distance live migration between data centers, as well as enhanced desktop virtualization. The full story can be found here.
- Cisco Systems and VMware announced enhancements to desktop virtualization and cloud infrastructure products that will increase scalability, security and performance.
- Riverbed Technology, a WAN optimization specialist that has extended its business beyond its original appliance focus, announced its Steelhead appliance WAN optimization solution now accelerates VMware vSphere Replication, a new feature found in VMware vSphere 5. The two companies collaborated to ensure speedy replication using Riverbed optimization technology and vSphere’s new replication features. According to Joe Ghory, senior product marketing manager at Riverbed, the result of the collaboration is five times faster performance in replication.
- N-able Technologies () announced its N-central remote monitoring and management product has attained VMware Ready status. N-central is now listed in the VMware Partner Product Catalog.
- Trend Micro released the next generation of its Deep Security 8 technology at VMworld. With a theme of accelerating the journey to the cloud, Trend Micro demonstrated the server security platform’s new capabilities, which includes new features for both physical and virtual servers.
- Virtual Computer, an intelligent desktop virtualization provider, launched the NxTop 4 desktop virtualization product. According to Virtual Computer, this latest product combines network-based storage with a stateless client-side hypervisor to deliver a high-fidelity desktop experience at a fraction of the cost of server-hosted VDI.
- CSC's CloudCompute and BizCloud offerings are now fully compliant with VMware’s standards of optimizing VMware vCloud Datacenter Services. In addition, the company announced it is now offering a complete email solution, CSC CloudMail for VMware Zimbra enabling enterprises to build a collaboration hub for items such as email, file sharing, calendars and document management.